Monday, October 23, 2006

Speeches

Oh lord, Christine has booked her wedding reception venue and she has asked me to give her away as her Dad is not invited!!

I know it is not the norm for a brides mother to give her away, but as I brought her up alone and she has asked it will be a great honour. I have no problem with it at all, but will I have to do a speech?

That thought fills me with terror. I hate speaking to a crowd, when I am nervous I do not smile. I am terrified people will think I am an old dragon. What do I say? I know I have to welcome everyone, tell the odd embarrassing story, welcome Petrus to the family. I really don't know if I can do it.

Well, I will do it, but I don't want to make a pig ear of it. I want it to be amusing and witty and SHORT.

I have 18 months to think of something and 18 months to stress about it.

I once went to an award ceremony and the group we were with asked me to do a little acceptance speech. At the very last minute I bottled out, I won't be able to do that will I?

Oh gawd. Help!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely most of those attending will already know you so there will be no doubt as to whether or not you're an old dragon. And anyway, most people feel exactly the same way about making a speech but they get through it. If you cock it up, it'll give people something to laugh about and let's face it, it isn't the perfect weddings that stick in people's memories.

Do you remember the speech I made at my wedding? Or any of the other speeches for that matter?

Caroline said...

Simple.
Ask Sharon to write it for you!
Or we can all help.
You'll be fine.
Best not start stressing yet - you'll only peak too early :)
Cx

Pete said...

Carol

As Sharon says, you'll know the majority of the attendees. Just tell them how wonderful your daughter is, how happy you are to have the groom as a member of your family and thank everyone for coming.

I used to hate speaking in public until my old boss gave me the tip of not making eye contact with anyone, instead, look at the point between their eyebrows. Sounds strange, but it works very well, I no longer worried about people staring directly at me.

Whatever happens, you will be fine and your daughter will be so grateful to you for doing this for her.

Pete
XX

Unknown said...

Good idea Pete. I have some friends that would just LOVE me to make eye contact with them just so they could make me laugh!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll help you with it, Caz. No worries. And I'll be there on the day to offer my moral support.

But as Caroline says, don't stress over it because it's a long way off yet and you really don't want to be fed up with the wedding before it even happens. I just know it's gonna be a marvellous day and you'll do Christine proud - I can feel it in my water, y'know ;-)