People of America, please listen to your president and not the words of Daniel Hannan. This is a man who more than likely claims huge amounts of tax payers money and it quite capable of paying for private treatment and wouldn't know how the NHS is run if it jumped up and smacked him in the nose (Preferably with a baseball bat).
Our NHS service is wonderful, sometimes things go wrong, but the most important thing about our NHS is:
1. On entry to A & E I will never be assessed to make sure I have enough medical insurance coverage/Money to pay for treatment
2. If I am unfortunate enough to get a long term illness, I will not be refused treatment halfway through because my medical insurance company decide my needs are too expensive and long term to continue cover.
3. I will never get ripped off by an insurance company with high premiums who then start changing the terms of my policy to suit them and not me.
4. If I have a serious accident/heart attack/illness I know I will get the best medical care immediately without being judged on whether I have or have not.
5. I can see my GP on the same day I want to free of charge.
6. Most consultants who work for the NHS also work privately so apart from paying I would most likely see the same person
7. I also get a choice of hospitals
8. My salary is good, but premiums are so high, unless it was offered as a perk by my employer I could never afford to pay the premiums so would not get treatment.
Barak Obama is an enlightened man, who wants the best for everyone. Give him a chance and ignore over inflated egotistical Tories. The reason our NHS was in such a bad way was Conservative induced. Margaret Thatcher was a snob who forgot her working class background and so is Daniel Hannan. We are all human and no one deserves inferior treatment or refusal because they are unable to pay. And remember just because you pay, it doesn't mean things cannot go wrong or illnesses won't go misdiagnosed, paying never guarantees better service.