Monday, October 01, 2007

Going to School in Style

I was having a chat with my friend Susan the other week. I have been friends with her since I was old enough to play in the street!! 3 years old!! She is 3 years older than me but we used to go to the same primary school.

Her Mum had a friend 'Uncle Harry' He was a chauffeur for someone and occassionally he would pop in early in the morning for a quick cuppa.

One morning he offered us a lift to school. I remember this car as being very big, but as I was probably very small I thought maybe my memory deceived me, so thats why I started chatting to Sue about it.

A quick phone call to her Mum established that Harry drove a Bentley Princess in his occupation as a chauffeur, so in all probability, the car WAS big. It had leather seats and was very shiney and well kept. (As you would expect!)

We had a right old laugh imagining what we must have looked like, pulling up at this old 2 story, East London school in a Bentley! Then 'Uncle Harry' would get out in his smart uniform, open the door for us and give a little nod as we climbed out and made our way into the play ground.

2 comments:

Sharon J said...

Strangely enough, my wedding car was a "Bentely Princess". Little did we know back then that we'd be living right on top of the factory that makes them, eh?

Sharon J said...

Oops... that should have been "Bentley", of course. How embarrassing. Living in Crewe, I should at least know how to spell the name of the damned things! (Gas Guzzlers!)